Today’s guest is Marc Brackett, the Founder and Director of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence and the author of Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive. He is a lecturer in the Department of Psychology at Yale University, with a Ph.D. in Personality and Social Psychology.
This week’s theme explores emotions. Emotions carry over into every aspect of our lives, from decision-making to relationships and our mental and physical health. Emotions also fuel the creative process. Developing emotional intelligence unlocks untapped potential and has the power to change our whole lives.
You’ll hear Marc and Kevin Monroe discuss:
- The effect that emotions have on our personal and professional lives.
- Why there is no such thing as a ‘positive’ or ‘negative’ emotion.
- There’s no correlation between your inclination to experience strong emotions and your skill in managing them.
- How community affects the individual.
- Why it’s important to identify which emotions are best suited for different tasks.
Arlene Mendoza of the This ExtraOrdinary Life community talks about emotional language.
Marc Brackett on LinkedIn