You spend a third of your life working. Have you thought about that? What about when you add commute time? How about those times you sit there when you aren’t working, but you’re thinking about it? Are your thoughts darkened on the weekend by the knowledge that Monday is coming? It shouldn’t be, and today Kevin talks about how to find purpose in your work.
Listen to the full episode now:
- Do your mind scream that you aren’t fulfilling your purpose in your life? If you’re on a hamster wheel in your professional life, then you MUST listen to this episode. Kevin starts with a very personal story about his father, a member of the Greatest Generation. He told Kevin: find work you love doing. And he lived that example.
- The very first man, Adam, was given work to do, even before the Fall. Kevin discusses how work changed before and after, from a delight to thorns, thistles, and sweat. He talks about a misunderstanding he’s had about a popular saying, ‘find work that you love and you will never work a day in your life.’ It’s not true, at least, not the slothfulness of it. What SHOULD it mean? Find out.
- Kevin talks about his six keys to finding purpose at work, starting with WHY you work. Whether you’re a cashier or brain surgeon, there can be purpose in what you do. Kevin’s father wasn’t a bus driver; he was an entertainer. You can do the same work as someone else, but why you do it can change everything.
- Your job can be drudgery if you forget one important thing: what is your work making possible? It’s not just what the work achieves, but also, what a job allows you to do when you aren’t working. Similarly, who benefits from your work, directly or indirectly?
- Did you know that having a best friend at work is critical for happiness there? It’s just as important as those who benefit from your work. There are times when you find purpose and meaning at work, or when purpose or meaning at work find YOU.
If you feel like you don’t have purpose at work, or you want to clarify your purpose at work, we have a free 5 day email course you can take with daily challenges and action steps to help bring the meaning you are meant to have into your everyday. Go to kevindmonroe.com/workpurpose.