Why is joy elusive to so many people, especially at work? Have you ever thought about joy as a business value? Kevin talks to Rich Sheridan about his new book Joy, Inc., and about how to create a radically different kind of workplace culture based on destroying fear and fostering dignity, respect and joy.
- How can we cultivate joy in the workplace? What is the opposite of joy? Rich explains the most damaging – but widespread – managerial strategy that may be harming your business.
- Every year, thousands of people visit Rich’s company Menlo for tours in order to witness the unconventionally joyful workplace culture they’ve created. In this episode, Kevin and Rich take a virtual tour, discussing the unique and innovative ways Menlo has found to foster joy and reverse worker disengagement.
- Have you ever given a job interview where there were no questions, and no references to resumés? What about a job interview where your task was to get a competing candidate a second interview? Rich shares a few things that his software company, Menlo, does very differently than most other companies.
- Who do you serve, and what does delight look like for them? Joy is taking the work of our heart, our hands and our minds, and serving others. There is also tangible business value to joy – it leads to greater productivity, greater quality, and greater outcomes.
- It’s one thing to have a mission statement – a well-defined purpose that you can put on a poster and hang on the wall. That’s important. Rich discusses the importance of going a step further, and how to tie your daily actions and infrastructure back to your fundamental purpose.
- If you or someone you know is interested in bringing the insights and benefits of joy to your workplace, let us know! Email Kevin at email@example.com.
Get Inspired by Purpose
If you want to take the leap from being inspired by purpose to being POWERED by purpose, then you should download the Purpose Manifesto. The Manifesto is a call to action – a challenge to live and work in alignment with your purpose. See the results you know are possible.