Joe Pine is the author of The Experience Economy and several other books. He and his partner Jim head up an organization that teaches businesses not just to sell, but to be the authentic, experience-based organizations that speak to customers’ wants and needs. How does purpose play into this? In every single way.
Listen to the full episode now:
- Joe explains what his purpose is in business. Some refer to him as a futurist, but that’s not exactly correct. Joe sees things as they are, but that things business owners and managers do see yet.
- Joe’s book, The Experience Economy, is a staple of the business world. He shares why business has shifted to the experience customers have. Why is it that way? Why is Starbucks so successful? He explains.
- Stores like Target, Sears, and even Macy’s are struggling to survive. Discover why they are floundering in a time when customers embrace brands. They are making one excruciating error in thought. They merchandise.
- Do you want to know why consumers care what businesses believe? Joe reveals the thought process that goes into what people care about – transformation and world view.
- Do you know what ‘authenticity’ means? You probably know what it doesn’t mean. Joe explains the three things that affect authenticity, and the strange contradiction that exists with today’s business. The whole idea of authenticity is an experience, not the reality.
- People want to distinguish the fake from the authentic. They want to connect. Joe discusses how this desire drives them to search for real offerings from genuine companies. Most importantly, if you aren’t purpose driven as a company, they will know.
- Joe shares one of his own mentors who really inspired him in terms of thriving and flourishing. Joe explains how he took this from a personal level to a business level.
If you feel like you don’t have purpose at work, or you want to clarify your purpose at work, we have a free 5-day email course you can take with daily challenges and action steps to help bring the meaning you are meant to have into your everyday. Go to kevindmonroe.com/workpurpose.