Alexander McCobin was on his way to a Ph.D. and a career in academia when he changed life paths and started Conscious Capitalism, an organization and global movement that blends philosophy and practicality to promote ethics in business. Alexander discusses how he helps businesses find their purpose and discover what they can contribute.
- Most people are taught that the purpose of business is maximizing profit. This is what is taught in business school. Conscious Capitalism says that the purpose of business is not profit – it’s creating value in the world.
- The origin of capitalism in the 1700s was actually grounded in moral theory. Alexander tells the story of why he started Conscious Capitalism – to promote purpose and ethics in business, getting back to the philosophy that was historically at the heart of capitalism.
- Too many people hear the words “conscious capitalism” and think the idea is an oxymoron. But through the dedication of individuals focused on purpose and ethics, a culture shift is changing the meaning of business in our society.
- Alexander says free enterprise capitalism is the most powerful system for social cooperation and human progress ever conceived. Sounds different from our stereotypes about capitalism, doesn’t it?
- Conscious Capitalism has 4 key pillars. Business is good because it creates value. It’s ethical because it’s based on voluntary exchange. It’s noble because it can elevate our existence. And it’s heroic because it lifts people out of poverty and creates prosperity.
- Business should be about creating value for other people and lifting people up, and helping humanity flourish. Conscious Capitalism is spreading this philosophy and creating a change in business culture worldwide.
- Alexander discusses the importance of leaders embodying not only high IQ, but also spiritual intelligence – and explains what that could mean for your business.
- To find out about upcoming events, sign up for groups and mailing lists, and find learning experiences and master classes, you can visit the Conscious Capitalism website.
- If you or someone you know is interested in bringing the benefits of Small Giants’ secrets to your enterprise, let us know! Email Kevin at email@example.com.
An Extraordinary Experiment
Thank-you for listening to this episode of the Higher Purpose Podcast. Remember, if you ever think that your work could be less ordinary, there’s not much between you and something extraordinary. Just 13 weeks, and a bold experiment. Find out more about the Extraordinary Experiment here!